Hello, thanks for visiting GameML, if you are a Game Maker user, this is the site for you, please sign up, or login if you are already a member, or just browse the site! Welcome to GameML!

ATTENTION MEMBERS!!! USERS CAN NOW SIGN UP AGAIN!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello, thanks for visiting GameML, if you are a Game Maker user, this is the site for you, please sign up, or login if you are already a member, or just browse the site! Welcome to GameML!

ATTENTION MEMBERS!!! USERS CAN NOW SIGN UP AGAIN!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Site Hits
Free hit counter
These stats started at 0 on July 7th 2009
GameML File Sharing
USERNAME: gamemladmin@gmail.com PASSWORD: gamemlsite Upload Here: https://gameml.forumotion.com/GameML-File-Sharing-h3.htmPlease add only games.
Create A GAMEML BLOG!
Make a Blog on GameML:http://gamemlblogs.wetpaint.com

Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead

+3
The Dark Ninja
CarnivorousA
-js1210-
7 posters

Go down

Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead Empty Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead

Post by -js1210- Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:46 pm

It seems almost everyone is using "solid" when they first start out, and end up posting questions asking why some aspect of their game isn't working the way it should.

It is indeed common among many developers' early games, and the reason is generally because it handles collision events for you moderately well when you don't have a lot of complicated platformer action going on (and because Prof Overmars' examples generally use it). However, though many developers use it, they generally don't know how it actually works and therefore usually run into problems with their platformers' (or even maze games') mechanics that they can't solve.

Solid, in case you don't already know, is controlled by the little checkbox in the object properties next to visible (you can, however, control it through code by using the variable solid) Go to one of your objects which is solid, double click it, find the solid checkbox, and uncheck it now. Why should you do this? Because of wizardry.

(no, not really...)

So you want to know how solid really works? Well, it's pretty simple actually. When actions or code is placed in a collision event for a solid object, the two objects cannot overlap. So if you have non-solid objPlayer, and solid objBlock, and you add a collision event in objPlayer for objBlock, then whenever objPlayer bumps into objBlock via "actual" motion (think hspeed and vspeed) it will be kicked back to the last hopefully non-colliding position. Same thing with the block; if it happened to be moving and the player was stationary, the block still could not move "into" the player.

Now you may be wondering why I said, "hopefully" above. Well, if your object is moving and hits a solid object, it will be moved out of it. However, if the object starts there or gets placed overlapping the solid object, suddenly, it can't move at all. And it's not really your fault (aside from using solid) because you didn't tell GM to do this; you just told GM to make the wall solid.

Actually, that is the very reason why you should get rid of it. Because you aren't in control. What if at one point you want the object to go through walls? No good with solid; as long as there's any action in the collision event, the solid object will be un-passable. What if you have certain walls that the player can go through after collecting a certain powerup (think super mario 64 after getting the invisibility cap)? You *could* turn off solid for those walls in particular when the player has the powerup, but that turns off their solidity for every other object as well. In addition to that, moving solid walls can also cause problems.

If you turn solid off like good boys and girls, all you have to do to keep a functional game is to program the collisions yourself. Take the more difficult path and collect the treasure at the end. When working without solid, you can include conditionals, etc. in your collisions, without the omnipresent don't-touch-the-wall-ever-or-you-could-get-stuck-mwahaha stuff. For a top-down maze game, you might use this code in the step event of the player:

Code:

if (OkToHitWalls)
{
  if (place_meeting(x+hspeed,y,objBlock1)) hspeed=0;
  if (place_meeting(x,y+vspeed,objBlock1)) vspeed=0;
}

Notice this copies a collision event exactly (better, in fact, because it checks horizontally and vertically separately), but we didn't have to use solid or a collision event at all. This also allows us to choose exactly when to execute collision events, but that'll be more useful as you get into more complicated projects.

One last thing that I feel I should mention. You can't use the function place_free() when you aren't using solid objects. Note, if you use actions, place_free() is equivalent to this one:

If a position is collision free

This is a small price to pay, as I will demonstrate, but I want to get it out there now that place_free()/the above action only returns true when there's a collision with a solid object. If you never use solid, place_free() never returns true.

Anyways, the way to get around this small roadblock is by using place_meeting(), as I did in the code above. Action form:

If there is an object at a position

Anyways, place_meeting(), or the action shown above, is an alternate form of place_free() in that it also requires you to tell it the object to check for collisions with. But that means, if you have 15 different wall objects you have to use this function 15 different times, right? Right?!

Um, no. When have I ever steered you down such an annoying path? In fact, with a little creativity, you only have to use it once. The way you do this, is to make a new object, and call it objBlockParent.

You guessed it, this object will in fact be a dummy object with no code of its own, only to be used as the parent object of all block objects. Okay, maybe you didn't guess that...or maybe you did. I don't know.

Once you've done that, you just plug that new object into place_meeting() as the final (third) argument (or into the action next to "object:") and it checks for all objects which have objBlockParent as their parent. That is, a single function/action checks every single block object. Yay. The code example above could replace e.g. objBlock1 with objBlockParent and work in just this way.

You've just written your very own custom, functional wall collision code, and now you don't have to worry that solid will mess you up later. Now that you have turned off solid, you can even make things like one-way platforms. I can't possibly know how far you are in your current project, so it may or may not be feasible to go through and revamp your current wall collision engine to stop using solid. But be sure to remember this for future games.

With any luck, this article will reduce the amount of solid-related problems that developers had. It's very difficult to explain to users and convince them of why they need to turn off solid when it means they usually have to revamp their entire mechanics base; reading this, developers will hopefully start not using solid from the beginning of their game.

-Written By gmXpert2000 on the GMC forums. Slightly edited by js1210 to fit the format of this forum and make a little more sense.
-js1210-
-js1210-
Super 500 GML
Super 500 GML

GameML Reputation : 27

http://www.yoyogames.com/members/js1210

Back to top Go down

Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead Empty Re: Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead

Post by CarnivorousA Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 am

In short, only use solids with ground and wall objects.
CarnivorousA
CarnivorousA

GameML Reputation : 17

http://entertainmypeople.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead Empty Re: Why You Should Not Use Solids, and What To Do Instead

Post by -js1210- Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 pm

In short...don't use solids!
-js1210-
-js1210-
Super 500 GML
Super 500 GML

GameML Reputation : 27

http://www.yoyogames.com/members/js1210

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Ninja Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 pm

woh,thats long
The Dark Ninja
The Dark Ninja
Super 500 GML
Super 500 GML

GameML Reputation : 7

http://www.thedakninja.tastyhamgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gogame1315 Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:00 pm

I haven't used solids in a long time Razz
gogame1315
gogame1315
GameML Adventurer
GameML Adventurer

GameML Reputation : 10

http://www.yoyogames.com/members/gamesgo1315

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dark Ninja Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:21 pm

i use solids bareley
The Dark Ninja
The Dark Ninja
Super 500 GML
Super 500 GML

GameML Reputation : 7

http://www.thedakninja.tastyhamgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fooey Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm

i use to use them all the time! Very Happy or at least i did when i was still makeing games
fooey
fooey

GameML Reputation : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by WastedJamacan Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:30 pm

The reason people use solid when they start is cus THE **** TUTORIAL TELLS THEM TO!
WastedJamacan
WastedJamacan
GameML Adventurer
GameML Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparx the Cy-Wolf Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 am

You didn't read the thing did you?
He just said the examples were BAD!
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Admin
Admin

GameML Reputation : 5

http://www.yoyogames.com/members/Sparx%20the%20Cy-wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by WastedJamacan Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

sorry, example is not equal to tutorial in my brain
WastedJamacan
WastedJamacan
GameML Adventurer
GameML Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by CarnivorousA Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 am

Then what do you do with walls and stuff that should be solids? You'll have to script everything for every object.
Never use moving solids.
Make solids do nothing.
CarnivorousA
CarnivorousA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparx the Cy-Wolf Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 am

There's a reason..
If you used a sprite that had bits sticking out every where (flames from an exhaust, spikes, clothing, etc.), they have a good chance of getting caught inside a solid when you move right next to it!
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarnivorousA Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 am

So you use a mask or bounding box.
CarnivorousA
CarnivorousA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparx the Cy-Wolf Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:55 am

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh geek I did not know that....
How do you set them up, it would be quiet useful.
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Sparx the Cy-Wolf
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum